Today I realized that it’s become a task of epic proportions to read all the content I wrote about blogging. All the steps, the habits, the guides, the shortcuts and growth hacks.
I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’m just saying it would take a lot of time.
And then there’s the billion other articles from all the other bloggers who share blogging advice, tips and tricks.
This, in itself, is not a bad thing, but it can be if you use it as a clever way to procrastinate.
The truth is that there would be no point in sharing advice on blogging if people understood that 90% of blogging success comes down to only two simple steps. The other 10%, it’s about the myriad different strategies and techniques, about developing a dozen or so different skills.
But 90% of blogging success, and the part that most beginners should focus on exclusively comes down to these two steps:
- Sit at your desk.
- Punch the damn keys.
That’s it. That’s the whole thing. That’s all it takes to become a successful blogger.
It’s simple, but it isn’t easy. Oftentimes, we do everything in our power to avoid these exact two steps. We’d much rather watch funny cat videos on YouTube, go fishing, read a book, or run errands.
Before I wrote this piece, I told myself that I’m kind of too tired to write a new article. I decided to network instead. Actually, I just read a bunch of articles. The voice inside my head told me that it would be best to take it easy. I can certainly write something tomorrow. Why not order some food and Netflix and chill the day away?
But instead, I sat down at my desk and I started punching those keys.
The real secret is that you must punch the damn keys whether you feel like it or not. You must do it today, and tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that. Build up momentum and keep punching those damn keys.
Don’t sit around waiting for inspiration, for some tactic, or one of your posts going viral.
Just do the one thing that is going to move you towards your goal of becoming a better blogger: write something.
That’s it. There’s no magic, no inspiration. You’re not laying a gold egg, you’re just writing a bunch of words on an electronic device.
We can talk about strategies and growth tactics until they plant us in the ground, but doing so won’t make it that articles magically appear on our blogs. At some point, you have to sit in your chair and just punch the damn keys.