We’ve all heard it before: being prolific is the best way to become successful as a blogger.
It’s all about posting a lot of content as often as possible.
But is it?
Maybe you feel as if churning out one post after another is taking the joy out of writing.
If so, I have some great news!
No, you don’t have to post on a daily basis to become successful as a blogger, and if you’re just starting out, it’s probably the wrong strategy to employ.
Read on to find out.
You need to take social proof into account.
Social proof is given by readers. It’s the amount of comments, likes, and shares a post gets.
It works like this: the more comments a blog post gets, the more comments it tends to get. It also means that it’s quite tough to get someone to comment if you haven’t received any comments yet.
At the same time, folks tend to only comment on the most recent blog posts, so posting too often doesn’t give readers enough time to read your articles and interact with them.
If you are just starting out, posting too frequently means that you never, ever receive the engagement levels that you desire.
Readers will often be frustrated by how prolific you are
Publishing often doesn’t allow readers to well, read the damn posts. They won’t care about a post from two days ago — they want to read the most recent post.
When they skip what you wrote a couple days ago or the week before, you’re missing out on their engagement with those posts. You also risk them not coming back because of content overload.
And this means that they will…
Because it’s not the quantity of content that makes someone a fan of your writing, but rather its quality.
And when under pressure to churn out content every day, it’s often the case that you’ll be creating content at maybe 70-80% of your peak capabilities, if that.
And your readers will have to sift through a ton of content, most of which does not interest them too much.
Post less and your readers will thank you for not bombarding them with articles.
Don’t aim to post every day, but rather…
Spend 20% of your time working on content, and the rest of 80% on promoting/networking.
Aim to let enough time pass between posts that you get at least 10 comments for the most recent blog post. If that takes a week, fine, but this also means that you should be doing your best to get new readers by networking with other bloggers.
You want to get as many eyeballs on your work as soon as possible.
And no, you don’t have to publish every single thing you write. Think of your creative output as assets. Some assets sit in the bank. Rather than posting every single day, you can spend your time writing e-books, newsletters, courses, and more.
Consistency is the name of the game. Having a proper schedule and sticking to it.
But you can be consistent even if you post every two days or so. Or every week.
If you are just starting out, I highly recommend that you spend more time promoting your content, trying to get more folks to engage with your content, while learning all that you can about blogging.
And while we’re at it, if you are interested in learning more about the art of blogging, you can click here to enroll in my free course. It’s absolutely free. Like really, really free, and the feedback I am getting from folks has been overwhelmingly positive.