Admit it. There are few things as intimidating as the blinding white of a blank page.
It makes no difference if it’s an empty sheet lying on your desk, or a blank screen aiming between your eyes. Defeating “nothing” by subjecting it to “something” with our words is what gives a writer breath.
Whether to pay our bills or please our muse, eventually words must spill. Here are ten ways to help plow past this nagging feeling of insecurity and feel good about your words.
1. Appreciate your unique perspective.
No one sees the world exactly like you, and no one can articulate it in quite the same way. The oldest stories are told and then retold, not because they invent new things to say, but because inside a timeless message, each storyteller may weave a million individual moments.
2. Writing is a conversation.
The more we speak, the more we understand the basics. Writing is no different. Most of the time, our brains operate on the surface, doing only what must be done. We may adopt the push and pull of conversation to push our voice further. Writing, much like a good discussion, can help us dig a little deeper.
3. Allow your influences to shape your voice, not drown it.
Creativity is borrowed.
“Creatio ex nihilo” is a myth.
All that information we absorb becomes inspiration that lives inside us, and our subconscious never forgets. We need not consciously copy our heroes, their hand is always there to guide us.
You can do it! Fear is a set of handcuffs, keeping our fingers from flight. If you don’t believe in yourself, then no one else will either.
5. Ignore the rules.
6. Write for someone specific.
7. Write without pause, return later.
8. Take pride.
9. Even Stephen King writes with his door closed.
10. Dip your toe, then jump… the water’s fine.
THE 0 to 5K PROGRAM IS FOR YOU IF…
- You’re struggling to gain readers
- You seldom receive any comments on your posts…
- You want to create a community around your blog…
- You want to learn how to tell a compelling story
- You want to blog like a boss
- You want a big smile on your face every time you check your WordPress Stats
Well, this is the program for you then.
Six months of receiving feedback and pointers from me, on anything from the visual layout to the content. I’ll be offering you tips and tricks on:
- how to end your posts with a bang
- how to be a master storyteller
- how to use social media to your advantage
- how to network with fellow bloggers
And more importantly than all, HOW TO FEEL LIKE A PROPER BLOGSTAR.
If you want to take your blog into the blogging stratosphere, this is the right program for you.