Every second, someone decides to start a new blog. Every second, your chances of standing out from the crowd diminish.
So, what can you do to remain relevant? What can you do to be different in a way that constantly attracts new readers?
Read on for some tips on how to differentiate your blog from the millions of others out there.
1. Pick a unique topic – easier said than done, however opportunities do arise to start blogs on topics that are new. Being first doesn’t guarantee success – but it does improve your odds.
2. Develop a unique voice – it’s not just what you say, but also how you say it. The style you employ in your blogging matters. A lot.
3. Design and formatting – The way you present your content often determines whether a first time visitor decides to subscribe to your blog. Do not hesitate when it comes to your blog’s layout, the theme you use, or the formatting you employ for your blog posts.
4. Useful content – perhaps the best way to stand out from the crowd and make an impression upon people is to produce content that impacts them in some way. Write something that matters, that helps people, that solves a problem, that enriches people’s lives, and you increase the chances of them coming back again and again.
5. Be everywhere – something that can make a real impression on people is when they keep ‘bumping into you’. Position yourself as a contributor anywhere where your readers might be: social media, the comments section of another blog in your niche, or even a forum on your topic. If people keep seeing you in the places that they hang out they’ll eventually become curious to know more about you.
6. Love your readers – often companies become great because of fantastic customer service. The same principle applies to blogs. Take care of your readers, and they’ll take care of you.
7. Be bold – Tell people what YOU think and you’re bound to get discussion between those who agree with you and those who do not.
8. Get visual – A picture’s worth a thousand words. A video? Ten thousand. Use them wisely, and you’ll become successful.
9. Create eye-catching headlines – post titles that draw people to read your posts are essential.
10. Keep going – oftentimes, the only difference between a blog that becomes popular and one that dies off is simply made by the fact that one of them didn’t quit. Keep punching those damn keys, the results will come.
Any of the 10 tips above will help your blog stand out from the crowd – however the key is to work on more than one (even all) because that’s when they make a significant difference.