How do you stand out in this crazy, over-crowded blogging world?
What sets you apart from all the other tens of thousands of other blogs in your niche?
If you do not know, if you hesitate before answering, odds are that you are not getting the results you want from your blog.
After all, being average, fitting in is synonymous with failure.
So, how do you stand out from the crowd?
Here are a few ways to do just that:
- Write like yourself – Your style of writing. This comes down to the words you use, to the recurring themes and motives, and so on.
- Topic/s – One way to stand out is by providing a unique pairing of topics, all the while catering to the same target audience. Incredibly tricky to pull of, this means that you need to think outside the box.
- Design – First impressions matter. The theme you choose, your font, even the images you select for your blog posts. Pay extra attention to your blog’s design if you want to stand out.
- Be the first – If you are the first one in a particular niche, odds are that you’d have gathered quite a few followers before others decide to join you.
- Your blog’s name – Sometimes it is just the name of a blog that makes it stand out whether it be by being confronting, funny or otherwise.
- Use of media – The clever use of video, imagery, audio, and text can have a big impact and set you apart within your niche.
- Obsess about quality – Instead of quick and short posts ponder over a topic and produce the best content that you are capable of.
- Post often– Being prolific also has its merits. You increase your chances of being discovered by new readers if you post more often.
- Offer resources/information for free (that others in your niche are selling) – The main idea is that if you offer more for less (free) than, obviously, you will stand out. If you offer the kind of resources that, within your niche, are hard to come by or expensive, than this will set you apart.
- Take care of your readers – Pay attention to everyone, interact with every comment and genuinely try to get to know your readers.
- Offer your opinion – Want to be unique? Say what you mean. It’s as simple as that.
- Infuse a bit of your personality – Who are you exactly? If you do not know, your writing will be dull, expressionless, dead.
- Become an expert in your field – It is a matter of luck if you are first in a particular niche, but you can always become the best.
- Network with other bloggers – The truth is that it matters. Networking with fellow bloggers, getting to guest blog for those who are more popular than you. If this is the sort of game that you enjoy, you better play to win.
- Take advantage of social media – Being active on multiple social networks means that your content gets seen by a lot of folks. You are everywhere. It means that you can add different kinds of content, experiment, and interact in different ways with your audience.
There are of course an almost infinite ways in which a blogger can stand out from the crowd.
The point is to actively try to be different, because if you are like everyone else, why would anyone read you?