Odds are you guessed this terribly, terribly wrong.
And if you guessed “Luck be in the air tonight” maybe this blog post won’t help you much anyways…
Blogging using some cuss words has become quite trendy among some incredibly popular bloggers and social media users, but I’m wondering if it’s really worth it? Or beneficial?
Today’s post is all about the good and the bad of swearing in your blog posts.
The bad of using swear words:
- Your blog will have a friendlier, less hostile look. Swear words create a more hostile environment. Keeping your blog friendly encourages people to enter and comment.
- Your blog will be appropriate for all ages of your audience. Some niches have readers of all age groups, which means that dropping the F-bomb every other sentence or so will alienate a big portion of your target audience.
- Your blog will be more appealing to those who have strict religious beliefs, or a strict moral code. Now, it depends if those people are in your target audience or not.
The good of using naughty words:
- It is easier to attract young adults.
- Most users online are used to this kind of language. From movies, TV shows, music, and memes, swearing is a part of the world wide web.
- Using bad words makes it easier to find your voice. In any kind of writing, you need to write like yourself, so to speak. Also, using swear words make you stand out, appear more honest and trustworthy (so it is easier for your audience to trust you).
I don’t particularly enjoy swearing in my blog posts.
Depending on the topic I’m writing about, I might throw in a few swear words, but I don’t overdo it. The reason for this is that it does not feel like me, even though in real life (and in speech) I am quite vulgar and swear a lot. But that’s another language entirely.
If swear words are part of your daily vocabulary, you probably could use swear words once in a while for the sake of being authentic to your own self.
Of course, there are plenty of alternatives to swearing that kind of have the same effect:
- Being funny. That’s easy.
- Make your readers smile.
- Write with passion about that which inspires you.
Whether or not you want to swear is completely up to you, but before you start dropping F-words every ten words or so, get to know your blog’s demographics, and the chance of them being okay with such language.
Dropping the F-bomb on them may lead to you destroying your subscriber count.