It kind of gave me pause, and I mumbled something, and then one of us changed the topic, and that was that.
But I kept thinking about it, and here’s my answer.
The way I see it, there are three different ways in which you can name your blog:
- Relevant keywords – The Art of Blogging – What is your blog about? What are your topics? How can you communicate to your readers what your blog is all about as fast as possible? Do you have a doubt what the Art of Blogging is all about? Or even John’s very own Content and Social?
- A brand – irevuo – Some might say this is a bit too ambitious, but if you can come up with an interesting name, why not? Something short and catchy, that’s sure to attract readers.
- Your own name – cristianmihai.net – Okay, this explanatory. You are the brand. You are the blog.
It goes without saying that you should always, always purchase a custom domain. This is the one expense you must make, no matter what. It’s more professional, it’s not that expensive, and if you’re somewhat serious about blogging, the $20 or so per year is well worth spending.
Now, how do you choose?
I think that you should take into consideration the following aspects:
- Take your time: it’s going to be quite difficult to change your blog’s name, to purchase a different domain, and change all the social media accounts
- Write down relevant keywords: what’s your blog about? What are your main topics? What makes it stand out? Can you combine those to come up with a catchy name (like Engadget?)
- Brainstorm. Ask people. Use a thesaurus, an online translator, a friend who lives far away. It took us an awful lot of time to come up with irevuo, which comes from the word “revuo”, which means “journal” in Esperanto.
- Go for a name that’s as short as possible: go for a name that is short, catchy, and easy to remember.
- Check domain name availability beforehand: what good is a brilliant name if the .com, .net, .blog domains are all taken.
Believe it or not, your blog’s name matters. A lot.
Do you have a catchy name for your blog? Do share it in the comments section below.