Great Blogging is a Conversation

Have you ever been on a date with someone who can’t stop talking about themselves?

You know the type. They go on and on about their plans for renovating the guest bedroom, battles with back spasms last weekend, or their latest accomplishments.

The topics are seemingly endless.

Along the way, you might pick up an interesting fact or two, but when you finally extract yourself from them, you feel annoyed (“That’s 30 minutes of my life I’ll never get back”) and maybe even angry (“The jerk never asked me about my family”).

And, yes, there is a blogging equivalent of that guy. That is, they breathlessly expound about themselves without actually addressing what’s in it for the reader.

So, how do you avoid being that guy?

It’s all about adopting the right mindset. When you’re working on new articles, take a step back and assume the role of a skeptical reader. Ask yourself: Why should such a person care about my words? How will my words make their life better or easier? What are the damn benefits?

This might seem like obvious advice. Not doing this is probably the number one reason your posts are not being commented on.

Keep on thing in mind: your readers don’t always care about what matters to you. They care about the things that matter to you and relate to them.

Communicating what matters to your readers will make your blogging much more effective — and ensure you never become that guy.


11 thoughts on “Great Blogging is a Conversation

  1. I’m totally That Guy. LOL. I blog about stuff I like and care about and if someone reads it and identifies, then yay! But if not, no big deal, they move on. Writing is therapy. It helps me clear my mind or vent. I put a personal spin on almost everything. In person, I rarely talk about myself. But online I’m all Me! Me! ME! lol

    Liked by 3 people

  2. So many have taken up posting photos on social media as an alternative to blogging. By posting photos everyday of what they had for lunch or where they vacationed, aren’t they simply being that guy?

    Liked by 3 people

    1. It gets tricky. If they post something that others can’t even afford to have for lunch, it provides them with a sort of… I don’t know how to describe it. It’s why average folks are obsessed with dumb trivia about rich and successful folks. The glamorous lives of the 1% will always be some of the best entertainment the other 99% have.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.